Do you create online content?
Do you often forget the size requirements for each type of content?
Do you wish you had one document with all of the different sizes you need?
Do you want the free artboard template(s)?
Create one Photoshop .psd file that contains all of the sizes you use when creating online content. Design multiple sizes all on one main Photoshop canvas using artboards. Use Smart Objects on artboards to update multiple artboards just by editing one smart object layer. Having one Photoshop document with artboards will save you time having to figure out the correct dimensions for Instagram or Medium posts or Podcast artwork.
What You Will Learn:
This tutorial will show you how to use Photoshop artboards to create a Content Creation Template that you can use for all of your online content needs.
- Create one Photoshop document with all of the sizes you use on a regular basis for online content.
- Use Smart Objects to make it easy to update multiple artboards all at once.
- Re-use the template over and over again
- Share the template with your team or co-workers to keep sizes consistent
- Update the template at any time by adding or removing artboards.
To Try or Buy Photoshop CC 2021 (affiliate link):
What is a Photoshop Artboard?
- Artboards are special layer groups that act as individual canvases inside one Photoshop Document.
- Artboards can be any size and not limited to the size of the main document
- Artboards live on an infinite canvas so you can add as many artboards as you want inside of one Photoshop document
- You can add layers and layers groups within artboard groups
- You cannot add artboards within another artboard group.
- Artboards are great for mock-ups or design multiple versions or sizes all within one Photoshop .psd file.
- You can export individual artboards or all at once in various formats.
How To Create Artboards & Your Own Template
Create your own artboard template or multiple templates for sizes that you use over and over again. Save it as a .psd file and re-use it over and over again by duplicating the original or Saving As a new document.
Create a New Photoshop Document:
- Open Adobe Photoshop
- Create New Document (CMD + N)
- Enter Dimensions & Resolution for one of the artboard sizes you want in your template
- Check the box for Artboards
- Click Create
How To Rename Artboards:
- Double-click the Artboard Group Name in Layers Panel
- Artboard on canvas will update when the Layer Panel title changes
How to Ungroup Artboards (Shift + Cmd + G):
If you create artboards but want to make them typical Photoshop layers: Right-click and select ‘Ungroup Artboards’.
How To Resize Artboards:
- Select Artboard and click and drag the bounding box
- Use the Property Panel (Window Menu > Properties) to enter dimensions and the artboard size will update. Hint: Use ‘px’ for pixel and ‘in’ for inches.
How To Add Additional Artboards (3 different ways):
- Duplicate any Artboard Group in the Layers Panel(Cmd + J)
- Select the Artboard Tool under the Move Tool and then click on any Plus (+) symbol
- Select the Title of any Artboard and then click on any Plus (+) sign
How To Duplicate Artboards:
- Hold the Option or Alt key and click and drag on an artboard to duplicate
🔥 Hot Tips:
- Press Cmd + Option (Mac) and select a layer to zoom into the Artboard
- Press the Spacebar for Hand Tool to move Artboards around on the canvas
- Hold Option Key (Mac) or Alt Key (Win) and drag to duplicate an artboard
- Use Artboard Presets in the Properties Panel to get ‘inspired’ while building your own artboard template.
How to Export Artboards:
- Right-click on any Artboard in the Layers Panel and select Export to export individual artboards or layers.
- Go to File Menu and then Export…Artboard to Files to export multiple artboards.
Download Free Content Creator Artboard Template
- The template folder will automatically download to your computer using the Dropbox link below.
- The folder contains the Master Template and individual Photoshop .psd files for each size.
- No email address required.
Download Master Template & All Individual Artboards:
Included in Master Template or Download Individual .psd Files:
- Square…1080 x 1080 pixels (1:1 Aspect Ratio)
- Stories…1080 x 1920 pixels (9:16 Aspect Ratio)
- IGTV…1080 x 1920 pixels (9:16 Aspect Ratio)
- 1080 x 1350 pixels (4:5 Aspect Ratio)
- 1080 x 566 pixels (1.91: 1 Aspect Ratio)