A must-know keyboard shortcut to speed up editing workflow
In this tutorial, you will learn how to use Ripple Delete in Screenflow 9, which is a must-know video and audio editing technique that allows you to delete clips on the timeline but fill in the empty gap by automatically shifting all remaining clips on the timeline from the right over to the left.
- Ripple Delete is a technique used in most video and audio editing software (Premiere Pro, Final Cut, Adobe Audition, Logic Pro), and adding this to your editing toolbox will really speed up your workflow.
- Ripple Delete will speed up your workflow and is great for cleaning or tightening up empty spaces in your timeline.
What is Screenflow 9?
Screenflow is a Mac-only screencasting software I use to record my computer screen and iOS Devices for all of my tutorials.
Try or Buy Screenflow 9 (affiliate link):
What is Ripple Delete?
Delete a selection and automatically close the gap or space on the timeline where the deleted clips were.
Delete a selection of clips between the in and out points on all tracks of the timeline while closing the gap of the deleted section by shifting all remaining clips on the timeline from right to left.
Screenflow 9: How To Use Ripple Delete
Learn the Keyboard Shortcut for Ripple Delete:
Command Key (⌘) + Delete Key (⌫)
- Open Screenflow 9 Project with clips on the timeline
- Drag the scrubber (play-head) to where you want to select clips to delete
- Press the Shift Key and click the Red Tab at the top of the scrubber to make an In & Out Point Selection of clips on the timeline. The blue diagonal lines will indicate the selection that will be deleted.
- Press the Command Key (⌘) and then tap the Delete Key (⌫) to delete selection and simultaneously close the gap as all remaining clips on the timeline to the right of the selection will slide to the left. It happens in one quick motion.
- Repeat this Ripple Delete Process down the timeline to tighten up your edit and delete sections of your footage that are not needed.
- Shift + Drag Scrubber to make a Selection (In & Out Points). Press the Cmd Key and then tap the Delete Key to Ripple Delete. Easy as that.
- If you ever forget the keyboard shortcut: You can also select Ripple Delete by clicking on ‘Edit’ in the top menu and then select Ripple Delete as long as you have clips selected.