How To Center the Anchor Point in Adobe After Effects CC 2020
After Effects CC: How To Center Anchor Point
TThis tutorial is about how to move and center the Anchor Point in Adobe After Effects CC 2020.
What is an anchor point? The anchor point is what a layer uses as a reference point to scale or rotate from. For example, if the anchor point is located at the center of a shape layer when you increase the scale or rotate the position, it will scale or rotate from the center.
What You Will Learn:
- How To Move the Anchor Point without moving layer
- How To Center the Anchor Point using a keyboard shortcut
- How to change Preferences to center anchor point in New Shape Layers
Note: There is a video tutorial below if you want to skip the text
How To Move the Anchor Point in After Effects
Move the anchor point without moving the layer using the Pan Behind Tool
- Select layer in the Layer Panel to reveal the location of the anchor point.
- Click the Pan Behind Tool in the top menu (Keyboard Shortcut: Y).
- Click and Drag Anchor Point around and use smart guides to line up.
- With the anchor point in the center when you scale or rotate, it will move from the center as it is referencing the anchor point.
How To Center the Anchor Point
Keyboard Shortcut: Cmd or Ctrl + Double Click
- Select the shape layer in the Layer Panel
- Press the CMD Key (Mac) and double-click on the pan behind tool
- Anchor Point will center to the selected layer
How to change Preferences
When creating a new shape layer, the anchor point will automatically be placed in the center of the shape so you do not have to move it.
- Click on After Effects in top-menu
- Click on Preferences
- Click on General
- Check the box for ‘Center Anchor Point in New Shape Layers’
- Select the Shape Tool
- Click on Shape of Choice
- Drag out a Shape
- The anchor point will be automatically placed in the center of the shape.