166: Podcast Episode 94: The Dead Show
Building a unique and genuine personal brand.
Listen To Episode 94:
Past Episodes on Personal Branding:
Watch the Promo Video:
Lessons learned from 30+ Years with The Grateful Dead
Personal Note: I thought twice about making this episode. My podcast is educational based and this felt a little too personal and different. I worried that it would be like talking about religion or politics, which I promise you will never hear me talk about. But building a personal brand means sharing what makes you unique and being vulnerable. Sharing influences and values and being unapologetically genuine and real.
I am 47 years old and The Grateful Dead have had a positive influence on me for as long as I can remember. I learned to travel, I learned about good music and I learned how to treat people with kindness and respect. And I also learned how to enjoy life for the simple things and most importantly to pave my own path.
On a recent trip to see Dead & Co at Fenway Park in Boston, I looked around the stadium with a smile on my face and realized that some 30+ years after my first Dead show, I owe this band a lot of credit for who I am today and how could I not share such a major influence in my podcast that is all about sharing my journey of building a personal brand and online business?
My personal brand and business is a work in progress but it is 100% me and for that I am proud. I create content everyday and I do not ask for permission or approval or acceptance from anyone. I do not pretend to know what I’m doing in business and I am not interested in learning the shortcut to success. For me, the value is in the learning and exploring and finding my voice and style. I am patient and in it for the long-haul.
The Grateful Dead has always inspired me because of their unwavering attitude to do things on their terms and to live life to the fullest. Watch any interview or old footage and they are always smiling and happy and seemed to have figured out the secret of life that so many people struggle with. For me the secret is to not overcomplicate things and to enjoy the simple things in life like music and travel and laughing and hanging with friends and family. I creating the business and life I want.
I have always felt misunderstood and different. I have a hard time communicating what I am trying to build because I too lack business clarity and not sure how I am going to make a living creating 1-minute tutorials and 15-minute podcasts. But the one thing I am sure about is everything I create is uniquely me and I am doing my best to always to the right thing and know that if I am patient and consistent, doors will open. Stay positive and keep at it.
“Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.” — Jerry Garcia
10 Guiding Principles Behind Mike Murphy LLC personal Brand
- Travel is a Priority. The ultimate experience and education of life. The reason I am in business for myself is for the freedom to explore and travel.
- Self-Sufficiency. I am a one man band who is not afraid to try new things because I know I can handle anything life throws at me.
- Adaptability. Nimble and swift. I can adjust and pivot on a dime and I see this as one of my superpowers and strengths that will help others.
- Less is More. The simple things in life are all I need and want.
- Community & Relationships. Connection and being kind to others is how I will conduct business and treating others with common courtesy and respect is always the right thing to do.
- Creativity Never stop making things and pushing your limits.
- Uniqueness Drive your own ship. Do not ask for permission to do your thing and hold your head up high.
- Confidence I trust my gut and intuition and know that I will succeed if I give it all I have.
- Sharing. Give value to others first and the money and business opportunities will follow to support you.
- Life is Good. Don’t forget to smile once in awhile and enjoy the ride.
How Can I Help You? (aka, I’m a Freelancer ;D)
I create content and help people figure things out.
I make podcasts and videos that teach people how to make better content.
Are you on my weekly newsletter?